1. What is your earliest rugby memory? We had a set of rugby posts in our backyard in Zimbabwe. I remember practising my drop kicks over the posts most afternoons after school with my brothers.
It would have to be the bus ride back from Perth Bayswater to Soaks after winning the grand final in 2018. I won’t go into the finer details about the celebrations that took place on the bus, but it was good fun. If you know, you know.
- 2. What is your favourite memory down at Soaks?
Really tough to narrow it down to three but here we go. First would be Joe Rogan. He has so many interesting people on his podcasts and is a comedian so it’s an easy first pick. Second would be Bryan Fletcher. Being a former rugby league player, he would have a lot of good stories from his playing days, although most of them probably wouldn’t be appropriate for the dinner table. My dad Clive would be pick number three.
- 3. If you could have dinner with any 3 people in the world, who would you choose and why?
One of my prouder achievements to date. When I was watching first grade games as a kid I always aspired to play first grade for soaks, so being VC is an even bigger privilege.
- 4. How does it feel to be Vice-Captain down at soaks?
- 5. Favourite ground you have played on?
Its probably a tie between the 1st XV pitch down at Hale School and the boneyard (Allen Park)
Although we have some pretty intense rivalries with UWA and Cott, I love beating Wests. In my 6 years of playing first grade I think I’ve only beaten Wests twice, so I really enjoy a win against them when we manage to get one.
- 6. What club do you love beating most?
Our 2018 semi final against Wests would be it. The lead changed hands a few times throughout the game and we were defending our try line for the final 10 minutes. We managed to work our way down the field and Brendon Owen kicked a penalty to give us a 3-point win. Best quality rugby match i’ve played in and the win against Wests made it a bit sweeter.
- 7. Are there any games that stand out during your time playing for Soaks?
As much as I love the winning feeling, the social aspect would be the best part. I’ve played quite a few sports growing up and most of the good mates I have now are the ones I’ve played rugby with. The post game beers are pretty good too!
- 8. What is the thing you love most about rugby?
- 9. You have played many positions in the backline over the last few years, what is your preferred position and why?
Fullback is my preferred position. I love being able to counterattack and run in the wider channels. Too much tackling in the centres ;)
On a personal note, it would be getting voted as best on in the 2018 grand final. As a team, it would be winning the flag in 2018 or winning a hat-trick of Brother Redmond’s with Hale.
- 10. To finish, your proudest rugby achievement?